Frequently Asked Questions
Also known as a ‘Colonic’, ‘Colonic Lavage’, ‘Colonic Irrigation’ or ‘High Colonic’, colonic hydrotherapy is safe, effective method for cleansing the colon of waste material by repeated, gentle flushing with water.
The colon or large intestine is the end portion of the human digestive tract (food carrying passageway extending from the mouth to the anus). The colon is approximately 1.5 m long and 6-7 cm in diameter. Its major functions are to eliminate waste to conserve water. Also, there are bacteria living in the colon which synthesize valuable nutrients such as Vitamins K and portions of the Vitamin B complex.
Almost never. Firstly, many of us have a considerable amount of impacted faeces in our colon; these is hardened, rubbery or wallpaper like material. Secondly, there is a subtle learning process involved in receiving colonics. As you become more aware of what is going in your abdomen and your body learns how to allow the cleansing experience you are better able to enter into that process and therefore more material is released. One colonic will remove some of the stagnant waste in the colon. The second and subsequent colonics will remove more. How many you wish to have will depend upon your personal objectives. Your qualified therapist will advise you after your initial colonic treatment.
Specifically, a colonic is used to accomplish the following:
- Cleanse the Colon – Toxic material is broken down so it can no longer harm your body or inhibit assimilation and elimination.Debris that has built up over a long period is gently removed in the process of a series of treatments. Once impacted material is removed, your colon can begin to co-operate as it was intended to. In this very real sense, a colonic is a rejuvenation treatment.
- It Exercises the Colon Muscles – The build-up of toxic debris weakens the colon and impairs its functioning. The gentle filling and emptying of the colon improves peristaltic (muscular contraction) activity by which the colon naturally moves material.
- It Reshapes the Colon – When problem conditions exist in the colon, they tend to alter its shape which in turn causes more problems. The gentle action of the water, coupled with the massage techniques of the colon therapist helps to eliminate bulging pockets of waste and narrowed, spastic constrictions finally enabling the colon to resume its natural state.
- It Stimulates Reflex Points – Every system and organ of the body is connected to the colon by reflex points, colonics stimulates these points, thereby affecting the corresponding body parts in a beneficial way.
No, you will fully maintain your personal dignity. You will be in a private room with only your therapist, who fully appreciates the sensitivity of the colonic procedure and will help you feel at ease. Your emotions will be acknowledged and respected.
After the gentle insertion of a small tube into the rectum, you are completely covered. Disposable tubing carries clean water in and waste out in a gravity pressured system. The mess and odour sometimes present during an enema simply do not exist with a colonic.
Since your abdomen will be massaged it is a good idea to eat or drink lightly in the 2 hours immediately preceding a colonic. Also, helpful but not essential, emptying the rectum with a bowel movement just prior to the colonic saves time and permits more to be accomplished.
Most likely you’ll feel great. Probably you’ll feel lighter and enjoy a sense of well-being. Not infrequently, someone having their first colonic will remark that it was one of the most wonderful experiences of their life. As soon as the colonic is finished you can carry on with your daily routine. For some, the colonic may trigger several subsequent bowel movements for the next few hours, but there won’t be any uncontrollable urgency or discomfort. It’s also possible you may feel light-headed or chilled for a few moments following a colonic – this is known as a healing crisis.
Being an essential natural process there is virtually no danger with a colonic. Our intent is to provide a safe and healthy service so that you do not have to worry. Cleaning and sterilisation of the necessary equipment is done as normal procedure and clean linen is used for each colonic as well. High standards of cleaning are paramount along with the use of disposable speculums and tubing to ensure that there is no risk of cross contamination.
Working with a skilled therapist a colonic can be a truly enlightening educational process. You will learn to expand your awareness of your bodies functioning by including signals form your abdomen, your skin, your face and even from that most taboo of natural products, your elimination’s. You will find that you can spot the beginnings of developing conditions through clues from these body regions and functions before they become serious. You can deal with them sooner and more easily than you otherwise might if you waited until they produce effects seen elsewhere in the body. Also, the solar plexus is the emotional centre and the transverse colon passes right through it. If an emotional event is left uncompleted, it often results in physical tension being stored in the solar plexus, which affects all organs of the area, including the colon. This on-going tightening of the colon muscle results in diminished movement of faecal material through the colon, which is experienced as constipation. Not only do colonics alleviate the constipation, they can assist you in creating a fully holistic view of your body’s functioning, leading to a better quality of life.
Usually, a painful experience is the result of resistance and tension. A professional colon therapist is skilled a putting you at your ease and minimizing discomfort. Most people actually enjoy the colonic and are pleased with the unaccustomed sensation of feeling lighter, clean and clear afterwards. Sometimes during a colonic, the colon muscles will contract suddenly expelling considerable amounts of liquid and waste into the rectum. This may feel like cramping or gas and may create a feeling of urgency to empty the rectum. Such episodes if they do occur are brief and easily tolerated.
Probably 90% of all colonics take about 45 minutes. It could be shorter or longer than that, based upon the judgement of the therapist and sometimes, the wishes of the client. There will also be about 15 minutes required before the colonic for the therapist to go over your medical history, another 15 minutes should be allowed for changing. On a first colonic you should expect to spend an hour and half at the clinic.
We use highly filtered water, which passes through a number of filters before being heated to the correct temperature. This is capable of absorbing and flushing more toxins out of the colon because of its drawing effect on solid particles, chemicals and other matter. Tap water is not used because it already has numerous chemicals and inorganic substances present.
We suggest that you eat at your normal meal time and consume a moderate amount of whatever seems gentle and nourishing to you. Just as it doesn’t make sense to have you car cleaned and then immediately drive it through mud, eating a meal known to cause trouble in your abdomen directly after a colonic isn’t an intelligent choice. Salads, vegetable soups or broths, fruit or juices are the best choice.
The most frequent post-colonic experience is to have a slight delay in bowel movements and then a resumption of a somewhat larger, easier to move stool. Sometime if the colon is weak and sluggish, there may be no bowel movement for several days following a colonic. However, this is not due to the colonic, but rather to the weakness of the colon and should be interpreted as an indication that the colon requires strengthening and healing. Very infrequently diarrhoea or loose bowels maybe experienced. This could be due to the extra water introduced into the colon or to the stirring up of toxic waste. If this should occur, it is usually of very short duration. However, since severe diarrhoea dehydrates the body, it must be carefully monitored.
Constipation can be successfully treated with natural, harmless techniques, including the use of colonics. Constipation is one of what may be termed ‘civilised man’s disease’. There are three factors involved in having a well-functioning colon: diet, exercise and attitude. All three must be in balance for the colon to function well
This varies dependent upon location. Although cost is relevant, far more important is your health. A knowledgeable therapist can help you on the road to vital health. Always ensure that the therapist you choose is a member of a recognised professional association. Ask to see their qualifications and insurance policy. It is important that you feel comfortable with your therapist as you work with them.
Open Colonic System
• You will be provided with simple instructions on how to use the device. You will be shown how to position yourself on the colonic device and how to put in the small rectal tube.
• The certified Colon Hydrotherapist will then leave the room so that you can undress and get situated on the device (privacy protected at all times- disposable covers provided-everything used by patients is disposable including the rectal tubes).
• You will let the therapist know when you are ready by ringing a bell and the therapist will re-enter the room to start the water flow for you and to show you how to adjust the water flow or turn it off in case you feel discomfort at any time. The therapist will then exit the room so that you may have a peaceful session.
• The therapist will not be present in the room when you have your colonic session but will be readily available and on call for you during your session for assistance if needed.
• The patient will be responsible for the insertion of the rectal tubing and will have complete control of the water release and temperature fluctuation changes. Lubrication is provided for ease of insertion. Rarely is this uncomfortable for the patient.
• As the water enters into the colon, you may feel a natural urge to defecate. Do not be alarmed as this is a normal feeling and you should go ahead and do so. The water and the waste go around the tube and into a basin under your bottom in the table and away just like a normal toilet takes waste away.
• Unlike closed systems in which the water can be pressurized, the open system is a gentle gravity-fed system.
• In an open system, the water is purified with ultra-violet water filter, odourless venting and automatic water temperature control.
• Many people prefer the “open system” because of the privacy it offers them during their session. Being alone in peace can aid in releasing and better overall results. However, the therapist is always right outside if you need them.
Closed Colonic System
• During a closed system colonic session, a therapist is with you in the room at all times.
• Your therapist explains entire procedure and may complete a brief digital inspection.
• Less odour and noise as the waste is exiting “through” the tube thus the name “closed system”.
• A larger tube is used because it has to accommodate the width of the waste that exits the body.
• During a closed system treatment, you lay on a bed on your left side initially for the practitioner to insert the speculum and attach a disposable hose.
• Once the speculum is in and the large tube is attached, you turn over onto your back.
• A pressurized stream of water is then delivered through the attached hose. When the colon is filled & pressure reaches maximum levels the therapist manually drains the colon back through the hose.
• Temperature and pressure of the water must be monitored constantly in order to avoid leakage or perforation. This requires the therapist stay in the room because of the constant monitoring required when using this closed system.
• The practitioner is in control of the water going in and then releasing the water.
• Generally, the “closed system” has the same treatment time as the “open system” which is 45-60 minutes.
Get the code
Paste in Text Editor
[faq orderby=”date” order=”DESC” filter=”yes”]
1. You can also use these shortcodes as Visual Composer Drag & Drop elements.
If you prefer shortcodes, you can generate them using Shortcode Generator.
2. Visit Theme Documentation for available arguments and more information. View Documentation Now.